BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Run Your Own Race!

My town started a 5K run / walk the year prior to my new hobby. It takes place memorial day weekend. We chose this as our next goal figuring from March till end of May would be plenty of time to not only train but more importantly not look ridiculous in front of our whole town. That was really a lot of pressure as it is a small town. I'm not a fast runner and I knew so many people running in that race that I admired and were inspired by. I was so so SO worried about my time, what I was wearing, who would be watching etc etc...first of all no one cared about me(really, its not about me??)- they were just happy to be running for a good cause. Second, I was lookign at older people assured I would beat at least them (I didn't) heavier people (nope they kicked my butt)...I did just fine - 3.1 in 33 minutes - same rush, same pride, adreneline aplenty. I don't know where I picked up this line or maybe I made it up "run your own race" which essentially cuts to the core of my schtick in my head - don't look all around at what everyone else is doing - same for in every day life - RUN YOUR OWN RACE - shut your head up and enjoy the moment. That ALWAYS is in my head during my races and other everyday instances as well. So, now going on my 3rd year preparing for the same race memorial day weekend and looking forward to it for different reasons. Through running I've gained some new, great friends that I NEVER would have met w/o running as our common bond. Its like we're all coming out of hibernation and meeting up for this annaul 5K season kick off. Running is an automatic icebreak for so many social and work situations. Its like a Welcome to the Club - the crazy club but warm welcome!

0 comments: